A BULLY!!! | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Landlords and letting agents 

start a new discussion


3 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
1930 views 2 replies latest reply: 08 January 2014

After having numerous problems with my landlord not protecting my deposit, an not having any heating or hot water for 5 months, I recieved a phone call from someone stating he would be entering my house regardless of my consent or not. I informed his this wall illegal and I needed at least 24 hours written notice so he then text me and told me that was the written notice. He said he WOULD be entering the property with or without my consent.

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


What your landlord is doing constitutes harassment. He is not allowed to enter your home without your permission and if he does can be prosecuted under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 which clearly states:
The landlord of a residential occupier or an agent of the landlord shall be guilty of an offence if—

(a) he does acts likely to interfere with the peace or comfort of the residential occupier or members of his household, or

(b) he persistently withdraws or withholds services reasonably required for the occupation of the premises in question as a residence,

and (in either case) he knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, that that conduct is likely to cause the residential occupier to give up the occupation of the whole or part of the premises or to refrain from exercising any right or pursuing any remedy in respect of the whole or part of the premises.

You have a statutory right of quiet enjoyment of the property and if your landlord interferes with such quiet enjoyment (which would include entering the property without your permission in the circumstances you describe) you can go to your local council and ask them to prosecute him for harassment.

Note that if there was an emergency such as a flood or fire your landlord would be able to enter the property without your permission.

For repairs your landlord must give you a minimum of 24 hours notice.


You need to go and get proper advice URGENTLY! This behaviour is totally unacceptable and illegal and you must get professional advice in order to protect yourself and your possessions etc… I have no idea what prompted him to threaten to burn down your home, but this is a criminal offence and should be reported to the Police..do you have proof that he said this?

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply