Advice please on complicated deprivation of capital issue | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Housing benefit 

start a new discussion

Advice please on complicated deprivation of capital issue

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
433 views 2 replies latest reply: 24 November 2016

Is there anyone can advise on complicated deprivation of capital issue please? Briefly I’ve a husband with long term mental illness, I had an inheritance which I spent, can’t get housing benefit despite Shelter appealing for us. I gave to work despite being unwell because we obviously have rent to pay. When our son who cares for his dad whilst I work moves out in a few months I will need to be here to care for my husband and it’ll really get difficult then because if I don’t work we can’t pay the rent. Any advice very much appreciated. Thank you 

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


To be honest, if Shelter can’t help you, it’s doubtful that anyone here can.. 

Does your husband get any disability pension, as obviously he can’t go to work. Might he be eligible for a social carer ? Your son should be able to at least get a carer’s allowance to help out with some of the bills. 



Check this link –


Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to answer. My husband gets mid rate care element of DLA. My son already gets carers allowance for my husband but when he moves out no one will be there to care for him. We aren’t eligible to apply for social housing (thipus cheaper rent) as we haven’t been in the area two years yet so I just don’t know what to do x

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply