Agents say cannot move yet as housemate not paid rent.Individual contracts | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Moving out 

start a new discussion

Agents say cannot move yet as housemate not paid rent.Individual contracts

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
134 views 1 replies latest reply: 10 August 2017

Son has lived in shared house for 8 years,Each person has own contract.Son not renewing this year.Agents say cannot have deposit back and they cannot deal with his exit as a housemate has not paid his rent this month.Asked if he could pay it ? They all need own guarantors I am my sons.If he does not pay rent they can come to me.Surely this issue is the rental agencies  or the guarantor of the other housemate not my sons.Letting agency is Homelets Brighton.

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


If your son has an individual AST, they cannot demand anything that is related to the other tenants. Their rent, deposits and damages are their own and he cannot be made accountable for them. 

I’d threaten legal action and see if they will insist on bluffing. Send a letter before action, confirming that son is moving on the pre-selected date and that he would be returning the keys on the same day and will expect his deposit in 10 days after the date, or he will invoke the ADR service by the scheme where the deposit is protected. 

At the same time, make sure you have a copy of the tenancy agreement, a copy of every inventory and ABSOLUTELY MAKE SURE that son is leaving with no damage, no arrears and no cleaning issues in the room. Do your own final inventory to use in case, agents try to falsify charges. 

If they don’t budge, summon the ADR by the scheme where the deposit is protected.

Use our tenancy deposit checker to see where it is protected –

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply