Hello, this is my first time posting as I require advice on something very puzzling that I’ve never encountered before.
I’m starting a new job in September, and as such I was looking for a new room to rent near my new workplace. I am going on holiday for 2 months to the US, so I decided to move before my holiday started. Sure enough, I found a good room just 5 minutes away from my workplace. After some bartering, the agent told me that the landlord was willing to rent the room out to me for a small discount if I was prepared to pay 2 months in advance, which of course I was happy to do. After that, all was well.
Just yesterday, I got a few seemingly desperate calls from my agent asking me to call her back. I informed her that I was not in the country, but she got me to talk to the landlord, whom I never met previously, on whatsapp. The landlord informed me that they were planning on renovating the house, and that I had to move out by the end of August. I was a bit too shocked at that moment to ask questions, but after that phone call, communication was scarce. I did not manage to get any more details about why I need to move out, the exact date, or whether it was possible to extend that time.
I will be back in the UK at the end of August, right when they’re expecting me to move. They told me the notice was served already… I don’t know whether they mean in the mail or not, but I could not get my mail in the US! I suspect that they planned on wanting me out from the beginning, considering that they were so keen to get me to pay all the rent exactly 2 months in advance. Can they do that? I do not want to rent out another property from them as I don’t trust them anymore. They offered me a property which they let me view before (they must have forgotten), far away from any amenities and for a much higher price than they had originally advertised it 2 months earlier.
I feel that I need more time to look for properties when I’m back. What can I do?