back dated letter | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Eviction and notice 

start a new discussion

back dated letter

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
442 views 1 replies latest reply: 09 February 2017

In the simplest way possible – Can my landlord backdate a ‘notice requiring posession’ form? Told us in person and then 5 days later handed us a letter, but dated 5 days previous (to line with the full month) eg Spoke to us on the 20th, tenancy runs 21st-21st but didn’t hand us the letter until the 26th, and dated it the 21st? 


Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


No this is not allowed. 

Although a verbal notice may be enough to end terms if you accept it. 

A written notice cannot be backdated and you can dispute it. Also, because it is backdate, the notice fails a second rule, which that Section 21 notices must “give the tenant a minimum of 2 months / 8 weeks, BETWEEN THE TIME THEY ARE SERVED and the end date of the notice. 

By serving a notice that starts 5 days early (thus ends 5 days early) the landlord only gives you ~1 5/6 months, which is most obviously less than two full months. 

So again, it should be invalid. 

However, I must really stress that we’re not lawyers and this is consumer advice, so take as is. Base legal decision only upon consultation with a solicitor or at least Shelter / Citizen Advice.

Here is our article on Section 21 –

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply