Bad maintenance in house share | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Repairs 

start a new discussion

Bad maintenance in house share

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
332 views 2 replies latest reply: 05 January 2017

I moved in end of march last year and I had issue after issue with repairs.

1. Extractor fan broken reported mid April 16

2. Boiler nearly killed me and other issues

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Not entirely clear what you are asking, but I want to mention that landlords have a legal duty to have boilers and other gas appliances serviced by a Corgi-registered gas engineer every 12 months: and to give the tenants a record of this. If they haven’t done this you may want to remind them of their duty, and/or tell the Health and Safety Executive if they don’t act.


Boiler nearly killed me

Do you have a gas safety certificate ? As Pivot said, your landlord needs to perform annual gas safety checks every 12 months by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. From what I get, that likely hasn’t happened in a while. Check in your documents for a gas safety certificate. If you don’t find it, call the landlord immediately and give them somewhat of a week TOPS before going to the Environmental Health Department.

Please check our article on gas safety –

If your landlord doesn’t have a gas safety certificate, it’s likely they haven’t done other management work as well. Check the following:


  1. The landlord’s HMO license (for a flat share, it’s mandatory)
  2. The fire fighting gear in the property, including smoke and CO alarms
  3. Whether your deposit is protected in a government authorised scheme
  4. Whether you have an EPC


You’re likely able to seek compensation, but that happens in the courts only – so consult a solicitor or at least Shelter. 

Here are some more links to check out:

Also download this guide about deposit protection and see whether yours is protected:

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply