My wife and i are in a situation whereby we are coming to the end of our tenancy, we had a break clause inserted in our assured shorthold tenancy agreement that states that we must give two months notice of our intentions of whether to renew or terminate. We had origoinally thought we would want to extend so we asked whether we could, the response from the Landlord through the agent was that they were not sure yet. We are expecting our first child and we originally thought it would be good to extend by a few months due to the new baby. The email from the agent was 3 days prior to the two months notice date. We did not hear any confirmation from the Landlord after that and now we have decided that we wish to leave the property at the end of our fixed term on the original contract. The lease terminates in 11 days time. The agent has now said that they have the right to hold our deposit in this case as it would be a loss of income for the Landlord as they wont be able to lease out to another party straight away. We do we stand here as we did not know the intentions of the Landlord by the time the date for notice arrived and for this reason we changed our mind.
Please help. Thank you.