Challenging/bargaining over a rent increase | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Rent 

start a new discussion

Challenging/bargaining over a rent increase

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
696 views 1 replies latest reply: 27 October 2015

My landlord wants to put the rent up to £625 pcm for a 3 bedroom house. I want to challenge it by suggesting that he replaces one of the carpets (which smells smoky from the previous tenants), and mends the gas fire (although I never use it because there is central heating). Am I within my rights to say that I won’t pay the rent increase until these things are done? I did ask once before about the carpet during an inspection.

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Peter

If you were to already have the landlord’s agreement in writing to change the carpets etc as part of a rent increase agreement then you would be within your rights to insist on it. However, even in that situation, if you didn’t pay a part of your rent that would simply put you in breach of your tenancy agreement and the landlord could remove you. It doesn’t sound like you have that here so it’s a case of negotiating.

If you want to negotiate then you’re well within your rights to do so but, ultimately, it’s up to the landlord whether they want to keep you as a tenant enough to accept your conditions.

If you want to challenge a rent increase then you can do so via a tribunal – there’s more info on that here.


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply