Changing the card from where the rent is paid | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Rent 

start a new discussion

Changing the card from where the rent is paid

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
561 views 1 replies latest reply: 09 February 2016

Hi to all,

My and my wife will split. The rent is on her card and I pay all the bills. I want to change the rent on my card. My question is about the landlord (letting agency):

– they will do something like end the contract because of this change?

– is there a way to protect myself if they want to end the contract?

– they will ask for referncing (I dont mind that)?

Thank you


Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Gabi

I would imagine they would ask to do credit and financial checks on you yes but most landlords wouldn’t end the tenancy for something like this. If the bank account from which rent payments are made is mentioned in the tenancy itself then all that is required is a basic amendment – the agent will most likely charge you for this. If your bank account isn’t mentioned in the tenancy then there’s no reason why you shouldn’t simply starting making the payments yourself. If there’s a reference to use for the payments (for example your name or the address of the property) then make sure that’s on payments and send an email or letter to the agent just letting them know what is happening.

There’s nothing you individually can do to protect yourself. I’m not a lawyer but if you have a standard tenancy agreeement (assured shorthold) then, as long as you’re not in the fixed period, the landlord can serve a section 21 notice. Having said that, if you’re good tenants who pay the rent on time there’s no reason why a landlord would want you to leave. 


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply