contracts | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

start a new discussion


0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
872 views 1 replies latest reply: 26 February 2014

I have a 2 year assured short hold tenancy which is renewed on a 2 year basis, it runs out 14th May 2014 last year our landlord said he wanted to put house with an agent and increase the rent to £700 from £540 as another house in the area was rented for that amount, that house was in better condition than this one with garden walk in shower fitted wardrobes, so my question is can the rent increase by this much as contract ends do he have to give us written notice last increase was £35 in 2012 with a days notice by word of mouth.

2nd question we have rented this house for 10 year and never paid a deposit our contract states we paid £875 deposit which landlord signed,

3rd question could he sue use for worn out carpet it was fitted 10 years ago we did change downstair carpet after a flood so it different upstairs and down

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


By law a landlord must give 30days notice to increase the rent and this increase must be reasonable…which yours isn’t…contact your local councils housing department for help on this.

If your agreement states you paid a deposit then as far as the law is concerned you have a right to have this returned to you at the end of your tenancy.

And no he can’t sue you…he can deduct any reasonable amounts for damage caused by abuse or mis-use…deducting for a worn 10 year old carpet would be unreasonable as it would be classified as reasonable wear and tear and has to be expected.

Hope this helps 🙂

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply