cooker | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Roles and responsibilities 

start a new discussion


1 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
2386 views 1 replies latest reply: 11 December 2013

I have rented my home since 2003, the house came with a cooker built in electric oven and gas hob, the heating element as no gone well 2 weeks ago, landlord sent someone to look at it as said heating element gone that was a week ago, do I have to purchase a new cooker myself or is landlord responsible (contract states I can not change anything he supplied)

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


There is a common misconception that if landlords supply white goods then they are automatically responsible for repairing them or replacing them. Under section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 it is clearly defined that White Goods are NOT part of a landlord’s repair and maintenance obligations.

You should look at your tenancy agreement to see whether there is any reference to who is responsible for repairing such goods. Whilst it is the landlord’s responsibility to ensure that the white goods he/she supplies are in working order and in a reasonable state of repair when you moved into the property together with ensuring that Gas Safety checks are made annually, there is currently no legislation related to the checking of electrical appliances.

Since it states in your tenancy agreement that you cannot change anything, if you decided to purchase a new cooker you would need the landlord’s permission.

At the time of asking for such permission we suggest you ask whether or not you can make a deduction from the rent for the purchase because clearly the cooker would be your property and you would likely want to take it with you when you move.

In terms of the old cooker, you should get your landlord to arrange for its removal and get a receipt from the person who collects it making certain it states that your landlord’s cooker is being removed with his/her permission and because he/she has not repaired it. This is important for when the inventory check is made at the end of the tenancy.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply