Damage to my property | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Repairs 

start a new discussion

Damage to my property

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
573 views 1 replies latest reply: 21 May 2015

Quick question. How do I go about my landlord paying for damaged possessions? Over the past 12 months I have let the landlord know about a damp issue caused by structural damage to the outside of a property I rent. It’s taken them 2 property inspections various emails, calls and involvIng environmental health to get the problem fixed. I emailed the agency I rent from approx 3 months ago with a full list of damaged items caused by the disrepair. Seem to have fallen on deaf ears as they refuse to acknowledge the issue. The structural damage has been fixed but I am still left with a mould covered room with cracks that needs plastering and antifungal paint (I’m not talking a small corner, it’s the whole back bedroom wall and sides. All are black) How do I go about it legally? 

Move on a budget !

Save 10% on any home service !

..when you book with Fantastic Services. Enter your details and claim your discount! We'll send you the code over email. Minimum charges, T&C apply.

Fantastic Services

Hi Pippa

As far as I know your claim would be based on a breach of the landlord’s obligations in the tenancy agreement. The first step is normally to put that in writing – i.e. that you believe the landlord has broken the terms of the tenancy, identify which terms have been broken (in this case it would most likely be those that require the landlord to keep the property in a habitable state of repair) and set out a sort of timeline of events that are relevant (so when the problem appeared, when environmental health were involved, when it was resolved and what state it has been left in). You should specifically mention what has been damaged and any stress and inconvenience it has caused you, as well as any risk to health. Give the landlord a time limit within which to respond.

It might be worth getting some legal advice – you could go to a local law centre or you might want to try a solicitor who would be happy to act for you on a no win no fee basis. The initial consultation should be free.

One thing to note: don’t stop paying your rent as that will put you in breach of the tenancy.


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply