Damp problem in rented property – reduced rent possible? | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Complaints and disputes 

start a new discussion

Damp problem in rented property - reduced rent possible?

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
632 views 1 replies latest reply: 07 March 2016

i wondered if anyone can help a little here… i moved into a property which had staining on the bedroom walls. (been at this house for 3 months now), i offered to paint it and smarten it up, landlord agreed i could do it. but we had some very heavy rain over these last few months and its obvious now that its becoming worse.

i’ve taken photos and sent them to the letting agent, apparently the damp problem is known to the landlord, so they knew it was a problem before i moved in.

they’re getting quotes to rectify it (taking long time to sort it, they’re still getting quotes, i first started the conversation about the problem in late january). i wondered if i am able to perhaps get a reduction in rent, its a 2 bedroom property, but i can’t really use the damp bedroom.  

i would appreciate some realiable advice if anyone can help.  many thanks….

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Beverley

You can certainly ask for a rent reduction – there’s no law that says you’re entitled to one but if the damp is a structural problem then in theory the landlord is in breach of tenancy until it’s rectified. If you can’t use that room at all then that certainly justifies a rent reduction and if the damp is damaging any of your posesssions then you should also ask for an amount to cover repair or replacement.

Most good landlords should be open to something like this if the problem is really bad, particularly if they have known about it for some time and particularly if they’re currently doing something about rectifying it. It’s not an unreasonable request as you’re not getting access to the entire property you’re paying rent for an it might also get them to move a bit faster in fixing the issue.

I’m not a lawyer so if you want legal advice on the topic give Citizens Advice a call.


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply