I would like an opinion/help/advice on how to take the next step on the issue I am currentyly having with the letting agent with regard to my deposit.
Could you please help me with the below questions? Your help is much appreciated. My deposit is protected by mydeposits.co.uk (government protected scheme) but I think going to Court makes more sense (to get compensated for the agony/stress/time I lost while at work replying to emails and stressing out about the process).
1. Do you know, if according to mydeposits.co.uk or any other government protected scheme, the check-in inevntory needs to be signed by both parties in order to be valid? The letting agent says no, as long as they have it it is fine.
2. Are emails a strong proof to prove that the letting agenst are lying? Asking £300 for scruffs (to be pained again) that pre-existed is ridiculous and obviously the flat has not been painted for the past 10 years. I have emails chasing them for the check-in inventory and no reposnse or we will get back to you…
3. Are iPhone pics valid as they are digitally dated?
4. Asking for £175 for professional cleaning since there was nono done when I moved in and also it is not part of the AST but mentioned in the check-in inventory (which by the way I never received for 16 months and only sent it to me when I said that I am moving out….)
5. £135 for a broken chest of drawers from Ikea (which is worth £90) which I have asked them to replace and they did not come back to me during the tenancy (hoping thwy will deduct it from the deposit which now I can see their tactics)
Finally, when they sent me the ‘fake’ check in inventory, 2 days before the end of the tenancy, I got suspicious of how dodgy they are and asked to be part of the check-out process. They promised they would call me and they did not. She said that they did and it went on voicemail. Obviously that never happened and I asked them to provide a screenshot of the calls of the ladty that performed the inventory to verify that. They never got back to me.
I know I have a case so that’s why I would like to get them to court and set an example and also get compensated for the stress and the time I lost defending somethign is unresonable and unjustifiable and at the same time them sitting around waiting to see if people will sue them or not. Ridiculous! This market needs to be regulated by someone and not these government protected schemes which are not really helping tenants. This is my view.
They cannot go on doing that (according to them that is a regular thing, I have that in writing on an email, that was what they said to me when I said I am not agreebale to the deductions and that I will go via the ADR route).
Thanks and apologies for the lengthy emial but I am sure people out there have had similar bad experiences (1st for me in the 13 years I’ve been a tenant).
Look forward to hearing form you.