Deposit dispute with ll | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Deposits 

start a new discussion

Deposit dispute with ll

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
557 views 1 replies latest reply: 08 June 2015


I rented 1 room in a house and landlord has given me their address as the same house. It was a monthly rolling contract. My q is

a. Who pays if bathroom tiles cracked,
b. Pest control if any claimed by landlord.
c. Mattress cleaning claimed by landlord.
d. Does landlord needs to put money in DPS scheme. LL says its not an AST so no need.
e. Any cheap lgal way to get around this and getting the deposit back without spending a lot on legal fees.

How much percentage landlord has to pay for above if their address is the same.


Move on a budget !

Save 10% on any home service !

..when you book with Fantastic Services. Enter your details and claim your discount! We'll send you the code over email. Minimum charges, T&C apply.

Fantastic Services


It all depends on the type of tenant you are – are you a lodger, are you subletting or are you a tenant? Normally, if you’re a tenant then you will need to have a tenancy agreement and that will usually be an assured shorthold tenancy that requires the deposit to be protected. However, normally if you share the house with your landlord there’s no need to protect the deposit. Do you actually share the house with the landlord? I can’t make it out from your post.

In terms of who pays for what, your deposit is designed to cover damage you have caused. So if you crack a tile then you pay for it. The exception is ‘wear and tear’ i.e. something that naturally happens to the flat as a result of it being used normally – so small scuff marks on a wall, for example, or wearing away of a bath sealant. A landlord can’t ask you to pay for that.

In terms of getting the money back, if it’s not protected then you would need to make a small claim. You shouldn’t need the help of a solicitor to do this, it’s fairly simple – there’s some more info here.


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply