Deposit not properly protected | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Deposits 

start a new discussion

Deposit not properly protected

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
328 views 1 replies latest reply: 28 November 2016

I have established that the deposit was not properly reprotected when a joint AST I had with my partner ended and a new sole tenancy arose under my name only. There is no valid prescribed information for my AST – all I have is PI relating to the previous joint A ST clearly not matching my tenancy.

How do I go about claiming compensation for the failure to reprotect – what’s the procedure? I have been served with an Accelerated Procedure Claim form which I know I can defend because of the failure to reprotect the deposit correctly.

Should I start proceedings against the landlord now or wait until the Court hearing judgement regarding the Section 21 ?

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hello, please use our guide on deposit protection and claiming compensation. We published a new PDF guide dedicated to your exact problem, with ready made template letters. It will help you claim compensation for your unprotected deposit. 

Download it from this page –

The evidence you have about the deposit protection failure will help you counter the eviction and make the landlord take a step back until the deposit is sorted. However, you must really get advice from a certified solicitor, Shelter or Citizen Advice on how to proceed with a counter – claim or an appeal. 

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply