Ex boyfriends house no contract | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Tenant rights 

start a new discussion

Ex boyfriends house no contract

1 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
332 views 1 replies latest reply: 24 October 2016

i moved into a property owned by my boyfriend at the time… I did not have a tenancy agreement and no deposit paid…. We have recently split up and now he says he wants me out… He says that if I don’t move out then he will start to move my things out… I do pay rent for the property though even though no agreement… Can he do this what are my rights…. Last week I was told I could stay as long as I want and now he is being nasty and saying he wants me out. Where do I stand legally? This is not his residential house it is a property he rents out commercially 

Move on a budget !

Save 10% on any home service !

..when you book with Fantastic Services. Enter your details and claim your discount! We'll send you the code over email. Minimum charges, T&C apply.

Fantastic Services

Okay. Luckily, for you, the law has anticipated such things and regardless of whether or not you have a written tenancy agreement, an assured shorthold tenancy is created by default.

As such, your tenancy is subjected to the default rules and terms as defined in the Landlord and tenant act 1985. In your case, your ex needs to give you a written Section 21 notice and ask you to move in two months of time. 

When that time expires, he may begin court proceedings to evict you.

However, he may not enter your property as he pleases. As a tenant, you have a right to ‘quiet enjoyment’ of the property, which means nobody can enter or reside in the property against your will. 

I suggest you evaluate the likelihood that your ex enters the property or tries to harass you. If it’s likely for him to do so, change the locks and keep him out until you move. 

I also suggest investing your free time in finding another property. While you may defend your privacy for a while, eventually he will get a possession order and kick you out (using the county bailiffs).

Here are some articles from The Tenants Voice to help you out further: 




Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply