Ex-tenant owns me money for bills and house stuff | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Tenant responsibilities 

start a new discussion

Ex-tenant owns me money for bills and house stuff

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
601 views 1 replies latest reply: 07 March 2016


I’ve been lucky enough to get out of terrible lease after 3months, and obviously my ignorant tenant owns me around £200 for bills and £70 (ammount we agreed upon) for things she bought the house (but we both shared the cost).

I gave her deadline to agree on how much and how often she can pay me back each back.

I’ve only considered 2 options:

– Calling the police to report a theft (she is keeping my share of the house furniture and other stuff) without giving it back to me

– Small claim court action against her for the money for bills she owns me

What are your opinnions guys?

I’m not expecting to get this money back being honest with you, I just want to make her responsible for her action.

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.



I’m assuming this is a tenant that you shared the property with. I don’t think calling the police is really an option here – I’m not a lawyer but I doubt it falls within the definition of theft and you’d probably get a pretty hostile reception from a policeman.

You could make a small claim, however, as long as you can prove what is owed. There’s more info on doing that here. Probably the first step is to write a relatively official looking letter, sent recorded delivery, and give her another small amount of time within which to pay you back, making it clear at the end that you’ll take court action against her for the amount, including interest, if she doesn’t pay what she owes. Sometimes that is enough to get someone to take action and if not then it’s relatively easy to take someone to a small claims court.


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply