Expired HMO | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Landlord responsibilities 

start a new discussion

Expired HMO

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
504 views 1 replies latest reply: 02 February 2016

Have just discovered we, ( 7 students) have been paying rent for a property with an expired HMO license. Our Gas safety certificate is also 2 years out of date. There is also terrible mould and damp in the bathrooms and bedrooms. What should we do? And does this mean we will be entitled to repayment of rent? 

Move on a budget !

Save 10% on any home service !

..when you book with Fantastic Services. Enter your details and claim your discount! We'll send you the code over email. Minimum charges, T&C apply.

Fantastic Services

Hi Jacob

With respect to the gas safety certificate, it is a legal requirement to have a new one once a year – contact the local authority and mention that you don’t have a recent one and they should be able to compel the landlord to take action. Or you can contact the Health & Safety Excutive.

If your landlord is running an unlicensed HMO you can apply to a rent tribunal to reclaim some of your rent – more info here.

In terms of the mould and damp this is a complaint you should put in writing, first to the landlord to give them time to take action. Make sure that you’re not causing the problems yourselves – for example, hanging washing inside without opening windows, not using extractor fans etc. If you feel the landlord isn’t meeting the standards for decent HMO housing then you can complaint to the local authority – more info here.


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply