Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Deposits 

start a new discussion


0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
524 views 1 replies latest reply: 05 October 2016

I have recently moved out of a property. The landlord has been ignoring the agents emails for a month. He has just come back to them. The property was well looked after and left in immaculate condition (as stated in the independent inventory). However there was a small tear in the (cheap) lino in the kitchen when removing the washing machine. The tear is tiny (as demonstrated in the photos). However the landlord has got a quote for repair/replacement for £750!!!!

I dont think I should pay this extortionate cost of replacement. I believe that due to the size of the tear this icould be considered fair wear and tear. If I can’t consider fair wear and tear, can I demand my own independent quote and pay for the repairs as I have a friend that is a carpet fitter that will do the whole job for £150. 

Many thanks in advance!

***Please advise how to upload photo as I can’t seem to do it

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hello Karim, 

First off, don’t worry. To prevent such issues from happening, your deposit needs to be protected in a scheme. You can use the scheme’s Alternative Dispute Resolution to get an impartial judgement on your dispute with the landlord. 

Get an official quote from your carpet fitter friend and contact the scheme where your deposit is protected. From there on, they will help you follow the correct procedure and solve the dispute.

You should have a paper with prescribed information from the time when your landlord protected your deposit. 

If you have none, you should contact them and request details about which scheme they used to protect your deposit. 

If they don’t tell you, you can check yourself, as they are only three and each have a tool to check if your deposit is protected with them. See the links below:

Check if your deposit is protected with Deposit Protection Service.

Check if your deposit is protected with the TDS.

Check if your deposit is protected with My Deposits.

If you can’t find your property with either, then your deposit is likely not protected and your landlord is liable for up to 3 times the amount (payable to you) as compensation. 

Here are two articles that will help you with more information on deposits, deposit protection and disputes. 

Tenancy deposit protection schemes (TDP)

Deposit deductions and disputes

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply