False Current Living Reference | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Landlords and letting agents 

start a new discussion

False Current Living Reference

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
555 views 1 replies latest reply: 19 July 2016

I am in the process of a new tenancy application and my current managing agency has provided a false reference to my potential agency. The false reference was due to the fact that their records show that we had two payments in arrears, which we have not. Please note that the agency has been incompetent in tracing the payments for several times and we had to provide proof of payment every now and then. Since the provision of false reference I have sent them proof of all payments showing no payments missed but have not yet contacted my potential landlord to let them know that the false reference was provided in error.

Any advice on how I should proceed with this would be greatly appreciated.

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Ana,

By law, the agent should be a member of 1/3 government approved redress schemes (such as TPOS) and this can be reported to them.

As for the false reference, I suggest you obtain bank stamenets from your entire tenancy and supply thesew to your new Landlord, with rent payments highlghted, alomng with a copy of your previous tenancy agreement as proof these were all made on time.

Hope that helps.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply