Finding a Guarantor | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Finding a home 

start a new discussion

Finding a Guarantor

4 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
5459 views 2 replies latest reply: 22 November 2014

For 2002 -2013 my husband and I rented privately then last year we decided to accept Sheltered Accommodation. It’s a 1 Bedroomed Flat in the centre of town. It’ driving me mad because all the shops have deliveries from 4am onwards. I have tried through the Housing Association to get a transfer but nothing. I am disabled and ever since we moved in my husband have done nothing but fight. He has had a heart attack. We have tried to rent privately but we are getting knocked back as we are pensioners and we don’t work. I do have a Civil Service Pension but it is only £400 but I get top rate DLA which is £550 but they won’t accept this they want a Guarantor. I can’t get a Guarantor so what do I do? The best of it is the private rented house I had I installed Double Glazing, Gas Central Heating and a new bathroom. I asked my last estate agent for a reference and he gave us a glowing one but he doesn’t have any properties for rent just now which is suitable.

Move on a budget !

Save 10% on any home service !

..when you book with Fantastic Services. Enter your details and claim your discount! We'll send you the code over email. Minimum charges, T&C apply.

Fantastic Services

Thank you for posting in our forum. I’m sorry to hear that your accommodation is so unsuitable and causing you and your husband such stress.

There are several organisations you can contact that may be able to help you transfer to more suitable housing:

• Carers Direct- 0300 123 1053 (a free and confidential helpline open from 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday except Bank Holidays, 11am to 4pm at weekend)

• The Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC)

• First Stop – free phone 0800 377 7070 or Email:

If you do not get the answer you are looking for, then there are things you can do to assure a prospective landlord that you are not a risk as a tenant without a guarantor.

For example, you could suggest paying for a Rent Guarantee and Legal Expenses Insurance Policy. It is an insurance policy for Landlords that covers rent if tenants fall in arrears. Additionally, if the tenant runs up any legal costs (e.g eviction costs), then the insurance company will pay for it. Policies can vary in price, but cost approximately £120 for a year. If you are willing to pay that extra insurance cost, it may convince the letting agent and landlord that you are a safe bet even without a guarantor. You can find out more information at:

Another way of persuading the landlord is to suggest an increase of the security deposit amount. You could offer two months’ worth of deposit, as opposed to the regular one month, in order to provide the landlord with a better sense of security. Of course you would get this amount returned at the end of the tenancy provided that you looked after it well.

Security deposits are most often used for the following:
 to clean the property at the end of the lease term, if the tenant did not leave the property in a clean condition;
 to pay utility bills, if the tenant did not pay the bills; or
 to pay rent, if the tenant did not pay the rent.

All the best for a quick resolution.

Disclaimer: This information is derived from personal experience and should not be relied upon as a definitive or accurate interpretation of the law.


I’ve spoken to letting agents that I want to rent through as I think I will need a guarantor as well.  They have told me that a guarantor can be anyone that isn’t moving into the property with you, so a friend, a relative (parents, child) anyone at all (someone from your work, church etc)
I really hope you managed to sort something out

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply