Fire damage decant | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Social housing responsibilities 

start a new discussion

Fire damage decant

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
408 views 1 replies latest reply: 21 December 2016

I am a council tenant in a secure tenancy.  I have held the tenancy sine 1995.  There are no arrears and i am not on benefit.  Last week i had a fire in the kitchen and the property will take three months to repair.  I was put into a hotel in Slough as a temporary measure that week end.  I have been told that the council do not have a decant policy and they are making me apply as homeless and want to put me in a B and B on a nightly pay rate.  The tenancy agreement states i should have suitable alternative accommodation.   Will i have to pay both the rent on my house and the temp accommodation rates and is this the correct way to deal with tenants who have a fire

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


If the tenancy agreements says so, then what the hell is the council on about ? Policy or no policy you and they have a contract, which has the policy built in. 

Alternative accommodation means that they have to either suspend your rent on the property you live in, or cover the cost of your temporary accommodation. You have to pay only one rent.

It seems that the council is willing to resolve the problem. As a secure tenant, you have a lot of rights and should feel confident in demanding more clarity and faster resolution from the council.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply