Fire damage to outside waste pipe | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Repairs 

start a new discussion

Fire damage to outside waste pipe

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
396 views 1 replies latest reply: 15 January 2016

we had a fire outside the kitchen in the garden last year which completely melted the waste pipe for the bathroom leaving us with no use of a toilet and shower bath or sink. No othe wc in the house and only the kitchen sink which had also been damaged to the pipe work outside. This wasn’t fixed for two weeks with no offer of alternative accomodation or rent reduction for the time without these facilities not to mention the petrol it cost us driving to my mothers house daily to get showers!

the rest if the repairs took a very long time also for instance the windows were boarded up for nearly a month and the damage to the inside caused by eventually removing these windows and putting new ones in is still to be done. 

The fire was in June 2015 

what are our rights regarding not having essential facilities for that length of time? 


Hi Vicki

Did you cause the fire? If so then it’s a little more difficult to complain about the time taken. If not, then take a look at your tenancy agreement – it should say what the landlord’s obligations are, in terms of what the tenancy obliges him to provide you with. For whatever the length of time you didn’t have it the landlord is theoretically in breach of the tenancy agreement. I’m not a lawyer but I understand that you could potentially sue the landlord for your losses and for the disruption to your lives that resulted from the lack of repairs. Practically speaking, the best approach is probably to ask for a rent abatement for the period in which certain aspects of the property that the tenancy agreement requires have been lacking. Perhaps 25%? It’s a question of negotiating with the landlord a lowering of the rent to reflect the problems this has caused you and the extra costs you’ve had to cover. If the landlord totally refuses then you could remind them of the breach of tenancy that could give you a right to take them to court for damages.

If you want legal advice then Citizens Advice or a law centre could be useful.


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply