Getting out before I get in – In a soup | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Moving in 

start a new discussion

Getting out before I get in - In a soup

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
337 views 1 replies latest reply: 31 January 2017


I have just been off the phone from HMRC and they are going to send me a tax demand. My problem is that I have paid my 1 month rent, broker fees and deposit.

I did sign a online agreement for tenancy for 2 years with a 6 month break. However I cannot afford to pay the rent in the light of my new found problem.

Few more details:
– I haven’t done the referencing yet
– Today the agency sent another new agreement to sign as the previous ones had a minor fault in the landlords contact details (just ‘A’ misspelt as ‘T’). I haven’t signed this as yet (but does it matter as i signed one yesterday)

Can i somehow get away with not taking the possession and get my deposit and rent back. I don’t mind if i loose the broker fees

Please help!

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.



If your landlord’s name was misspelled, it means the contract was invalid and thus not binding to you. 

You probably can walk away, but you will lose all the letting fees for sure. 

The rent and deposit should be returned to you, as no valid binding contract is made.


However, you probably have to live somewhere, can you not pay the tax in installments and keep your current property ? 

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply