Heating | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Tenant rights 

start a new discussion


0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
299 views 1 replies latest reply: 15 February 2017

Hi im living in a housing association flat but the heating is storage heaters. They are original to the property which is older than 1980! They are way to expensive to use more than one! I’m disabled and have many illnesses which means i feel the cold more. Do i have the rights to have the heating system changed for something i can use to stay warm? 

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


You can negotiate this with the landlord. Given the age of the heaters, there are some available government schemes / grants that cover part or all of the costs to purchase new heating equipment and install it. 

The landlord may likely have to pay a portion of it though. 

However, this upgrade will benefit both you and them as the property will increase it’s value with brand new economic heating equipment. It’s worth at least to discuss this, but you should better first research options for government grants and find out how much it will actually cost before you discuss this. The landlord will appreciate that you have done the homework and have a clear “ask” and a specific “price” that you want them to pay. 

Visit http://www.affordablewarmthgrants.co.uk/ and check out some of their terms. 

However, the law only requires them to provide a means for heating, not to upgrade for the sake of economy. If the heaters are working well, despite the electricity costs, the law doesn’t require the landlord to purchase new ones or in any way to consider your utility bills. 

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply