Heating | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Tenant rights 

start a new discussion


1 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
471 views 1 replies latest reply: 31 October 2016

What is the law in regards to private rent and heating? I thought I had the right to a form of controlable fixed heating but have 1 portable oil heater to heat a 2 bed flat and landlord says that is sufficient enough.


Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


There are two statements by the law about heating: 

There is a minimum heating standard which requires the property to sustain temperatures of at least 18°C in bed rooms and 21°C in living rooms. There should also be a fully functioning system that can be used as needed/wanted whenever the temperature outside is -1°C or lower.


The landlord is required to keep in repair and proper working order the installation in the dwelling for space heating and heating water. 


If you believe your heating equipment is not adequate, I suggest you download our new official guide on heating and hot water in rented properties. It will take you step by step through the right process to resolve the matter. 

You can get it for free from this page – http://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/letter-templates/request-repairs-heating-and-hot-water

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply