Help needed please | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Tenancy agreements 

start a new discussion

Help needed please

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
186 views 1 replies latest reply: 10 August 2017

I’m currently in a joint tenancy with my partner however the relationship has recently taken a sour turn and there are talks of us seperating. 

We currently rent from a housing association. 

I work full time and I am in a position to pay for the rent and bills on my own, my partner doesn’t work at all. 

My partner has a young child, who isn’t mine.

The house we live in is a three bedroom property. 

Would I have to leave this property should the relationship end? I have invested a lot of money in the property and it’s close to work and my family, therefore I am reluctant to leave. 

Any advice will be gratefully received. 


Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


So joint tenancies work like so: 

If one tenant leaves, the tenancy needs to end of all joint tenant. 

The other tenant is free to sign a new agreement with the landlord and continue to rent the property. 

However, do you have a need for a 3-bedroom property if you live alone ? 

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply