house exchange council property vs housing association | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Finding a home 

start a new discussion

house exchange council property vs housing association

1 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
2253 views 1 replies latest reply: 07 April 2014

hi im a council tenant for 29 yrs and im a secure tenant i have a chance to move as we are very over crowded to a bigger property that is a housing association and if we were to exchange i would then become an assured tenant can you tell me what the difference is between the two tenancys are please

Move on a budget !

Save 10% on any home service !

..when you book with Fantastic Services. Enter your details and claim your discount! We'll send you the code over email. Minimum charges, T&C apply.

Fantastic Services

Thanks for posting a question in the forum.

Since 1988 Housing Associations were no longer allowed to grant Secure tenancies unless it was a transfer of an existing secure tenant (but Local Authorities still issue Secure tenancies at their discretion).

The main difference between the two is that Secure tenants have more rights and security of tenure compared with Assured tenants. For example, secure tenants have better succession rights, Assignment rights, the right to repair and improve, and Fair rent set by the Fair Rent Office which can only be increased every two years.

On the other hand, Assured tenants have target rent set by a government formula based on factors such as inflation, location, and bedroom size.

Hope this is helpful.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply