Here’s my current situation:
I am moving out of a property today, and the landlord has requested I pay for a new side panel for the bath tub due to it being damaged by water leaking onto it over time. FYI, the seal beneath the shower panel was not water tight the day I moved in, which is why water was able to escape onto the side panel when showering.
I have also discovered that my deposit was never protected even though I requested via email for it to be protected a few days after I moved in.
- The start date of my written tenancy agreement was 2nd May 2015
- The end date of my written tenency agreement was 31st January 2017
- I have paid my last rent and handed in my 30 days notice to which my moving out date is 28th February 2017
- My deposit was not protected within 30 days of my move in date even after my request a few days later
- It still is not protected (I have checked with all 3 Deposit Protection Schemes and they have no record)
In light of this information, I have a few questions:
1) How will the current dispute concerning the side panel for the bath tub affect my deposit?
2) Can the landlord make deductions if my deposit was never protected?
3) What happens if the landlord decides to protect the deposit in the next few days after I have left the property?
Your advice is greatly appreciated.