Income references | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Tenancy agreements 

start a new discussion

Income references

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
736 views 2 replies latest reply: 08 June 2015

My partner and I are trying to rent a flat with a lettings agency, however although I earn 2.5 times the annual rent for the property, my partner has just graduated (this week) and has not yet secured employment.

The letting agency are claiming that legislation requires both of us to be earning regular money in order for them to allow us to rent the flat,

is this true?

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Meg

Can you ask them what ‘legislation’ they’re referring to? I.e. the name of the law (for example Landlord and Tenant Act 1985) and the specific section that states that both tenants must be employed to be able to sign a tenancy. I’m not an expert but I’ve never heard of that before and I doubt it to be the case. 

It could be that they want two tenants who are both earning – that way if one income fails then there is still the other to rely on. But if so, then why not simply say that.

Ask them about the legislation specifics and then let us know what they say.



Hi Alex,

Yes this is very helpful information and I am most grateful for your response.

I will ask them and let you know.

Also I understand the point about ‘if one income fails’, however I am a full time Senior Lecturer and Director at a University (for the last 20 years) so my work position is pretty secure! and the Agency have had all the references they require from my HR Department and from my Line Manager.

Once again many thanks and I will keep you posted.


Showing 1 - 2 of 2 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply