My daughter and her boyfriend moved into a property in June 2014. The agreement is until 31 August 2015.The agreement is in both of their names. Three weeks ago, her boyfriend tragically died in the property. My daughter notified the agent that she could no longer live there and would like to be freed from her tenancy. She is 23 years old. The agent and landlord have agreed she be released provided they can find a tenant to move in. Fair enough. My wife and friends scrubbed the property until it was gleaming the following weekend and left it in a far better condition than when my daughter moved in. We went to fetch the last item of furniture which was being kept in the landlords garage yesterday only to find the landlord there who informed us she had had cleaners in to clean the house, had redecorated 2 walls in the lounge and had clearly been going in and out the property as she liked. My daughter on the advice of the agent has paid her rent for the first 2 weeks of June. My questions are as follows:
1) Does the tenant have the right to be traipsing in and out of the property even though my daughter has technically moved out;
2) Does she continue paying the rent for the rest of June and ongoing as it apperas the landlord is in breach of contract;
3) Is the tenant trying to spend money on unnecessary cleaning and redecorating in an attempt to wiggle out of repaying my daughters deposit of £1200;
4) Is the agent answerable to anything legal in that they are aware the landlord has been in and out the property and have not notified my daughter of anything in writing. The only discussion they have had with regard to accessing the property is to tell me they will be taking prospective tenants in to see the property in order to get my daughter out of her tenancy as soon as possible;
5) The landlord also informed us yesterday that all the grass in the back garden will need to be dug up and replanted as my daughters dog’s urine ahs poisened the soil. Is there any truth in this? As a dog owwner of 20 years, I have never had “poisoning” of the soil by any of my dogs urine.
Thanks for listening