landlord bein high and mighty | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Tenant rights 

start a new discussion

landlord bein high and mighty

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
1328 views 1 replies latest reply: 30 December 2013

Me and my 6 kids live in a private rented house pay rent every month with fail. I asked landlord to please replace my carpet with wood floor or vinyl I don’t care what ever is easiest. Last week I was informed of my landlord he will do this and not he is tellin me my rent will increase when he does this. We don’t have a contract he won’t give me one but now I’m worried incase he kick me and my children out what can I do so far I have refused to let him do the floor but I’m still paying my rent what rights do I have

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Diane,

do you pay your rent monthly or weekly? If you pay weekly your landlord must provide you with a rent book. It is a criminal offence not to do so.

In addition, your landlord has a legal obligation, under Section 20A of the Housing Act 1988, to provide you with information related to the key terms of your tenancy such as the date it commenced and how much the rent is. You have to request this information in writing from the landlord which is effectively a confirmation of your verbal agreement when you began the tenancy. If the landlord does not provide such written confirmation within 28 days of receiving your written request it is a criminal offence.

However, since there is only a verbal tenancy agreement, and therefore nothing in writing about rent increases he can increase your rent and there isn’t anything you can do about it. Even if you had an assured shorthold tenancy agreement, as most private rental tenants have in the UK, your landlord could increase the rent after the fixed term expired. Whilst an assured shorthold tenant has to agree to a rent increase the reality is that if they don’t agree the landlord can evict them following the correct legal procedure.

In your circumstances, the landlord would still have to follow the correct legal eviction procedure and you can find out more about this on the following link:

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply