Landlord has not carried out work for 3 years! | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

start a new discussion

Landlord has not carried out work for 3 years!

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
900 views 1 replies latest reply: 19 July 2014

I’ve been renting this property for 3 years now and have constantly been chasing the landlord to sort out certain problems. I’ve been liivng here with my two kids. My front porch has a leak, a hole in the ceiling, asbestos and generally it’s very dirty. The ceiling in my downstairs toilet has partially collapsed, the sink tap does not work. The bathroom had a leak upstairs which caused the ceiling to get damp and cause plasterboard to start falling through. Recently the gutter has also blocked and that’s been a big headache as it was stinking my house out. These r just SOME of the main problems. My landlord is so ignorant. I’ve been very calm about this and now I want to take serious action. I know I shouldn’t have waited this long but I just gave him the benefit of the doubt plus my kids r both under 3 so I never really had time to chase after him. I want to know what I can do ? Is this is serious issue since I’ve been waiting for 3 years and most of these problems have got worse. I’ve been waiting 2 months to get the gutter sorted. It’s been three weeks since he said he will sort it out but since then I’ve received no response. I’ve been advised to write a letter n give to neighbourhood office telling them why I want to keep the rent. ANOTHER important thing. My tenancy agreement states the house is fully furnished however there was absolutely nothing in this house. I’ve decorated this house twice now. I’ve maintained it. Painted it. Carpetted it. Wallpapered it. Everything has damaged cuz of the leaks and negligence of landlord. We agreed 450 monthly rent. I was getting housing benefit paid to me and used to drop it off to the landlord and then suddenly I stopped getting it n was told the landlord requested it be sent to them. I’m entitled to about 500 a month so whatever I get on top of the 450 the landlord keeps. Why is keeping the extra. I think I should keep that with the amount of work I’ve put in myself. I use my benefits to maintain it. I’m so fed up. I want to move out n apply for a council property. I do not want to rent privately.

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Thanks for posting in our forum. I am very sorry to hear that you have had such a bad experience.

As a tenant you have every right to expect a good standard of accommodation for the rent you pay. The problems you have listed with the property are entirely your landlord’s responsibility to maintain. Furthermore, asbestos is a serious health risk to you and your family.

Please see our article on making a complaint:

The complaints process usually starts with a formal letter to the landlord, however if you feel there is a serious risk to your health, you should involve the Environmental Health Department.

For more info please go to:

You can also turn to your local council, Citizens Advice and the Independent Property Ombudsman services.

With regard to the overpayment in rent, contact Citizens Advice Bureau and/or the DWP to query the amount being paid directly to your landlord.

Disclaimer: This information is derived from personal experience and should not be relied upon as a definitive or accurate interpretation of the law.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply