Landlord subletting without tenant’s permission | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Complaints and disputes 

start a new discussion

Landlord subletting without tenant’s permission

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
110 views 2 replies latest reply: 21 July 2017


Recently, I found out that, while current away for a few weeks from a house I rent with three other students, that my landlord had decided to sublet out mine and another’s (who was also away) rooms, without notifying us or seeking our permission. This despite us being fully up to date with rent. It seemed his motive was that he wanted to use rooms that were currently unfilled, if only to sublet them for a few weeks.

I can’t find anything in the tenancy agreement that explicitly prohibits him from doing this, but neither is there anything that explicitly allows him to.

I’d love to know what the legality of this is, and whether it’s a usual occurrence? As well as what I might perhaps do next.

Thanks in advance!

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


First, this is not subletting. Subletting is when a tenant rents out their room / property to another tenant and becomes an intermediary landlord. 

Second, this is called double renting and is absolutely illegal. The landlord can NOT rent the property at the same time to two different people who are paying rent for exclusive occupation. 

You can request a rent compensation for the period when your room has been rented out to somebody else.


Ah right, thanks for the advice!

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply