Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Landlords and letting agents 

start a new discussion

Letting agent fees £988 non-refundable

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
895 views 3 replies latest reply: 02 June 2016
Photo
Tenant

Due to starting a new job I have had to accept the following fees on a 3 bed house.  The agent has been transparent about the fees but I feel they are extortionate and I would like to complain, but who to?

Holding fee (to take house off the market while referencing) £184

Referencing fee £210

Additional clause in the tenancy agreement £48

Check-in fee £102

Check-out fee (must be paid at start of tenancy) £144

Compulsory carpet cleaning fee (must be paid at start of tenancy) £300

Does this sound unreasonable?  Is it worth making an Ombudsman aware? The agent is a member of NALS.

Photo
Administrator

Hello

In terms of the fees, I’ve not heard of a holding fee before. Normally you pay a holding deposit to take the property off the market and then when you sign the tenancy this amount is taken off your first month’s rent. Compulsory carpet clening is quite normal as a condition of moving out but you’re normally able to find your own service provider to do it – £300 does seem very high.

Charging an unreasonable amount of money could be a breach of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 – this used to be something you complained to your local Trading Standards office about but now I think it is the job of the Ombusman as you say. I think it would be worth contacting the Property Ombudsman to see if you can complain about this. However, remember that you have to complain to the business first and have reached a deadlock before an ombudsman will take on your case – there’s more info on that here. Try speaking to your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau to see if they can give you any more guidance.

Alex

Photo
Tenant

Due to starting a new job I have had to accept the following fees on a 3 bed house.  The agent has been transparent about the fees but I feel they are extortionate and I would like to complain, but who to? Holding fee (to take house off the market while referencing) £184 Referencing fee £210 Additional clause in the tenancy agreement £48 Check-in fee £102 Check-out fee (must be paid at start of tenancy) £144 Compulsory carpet cleaning fee (must be paid at start of tenancy) £300 Does this sound unreasonable?  Is it worth making an Ombudsman aware? The agent is a member of NALS.

– S Humphrys

Hi S Humphrys,

I do know exactly where you are coming from. I hope yopu have had better success now. Who is the Estate Agents so that people are aware of their ridicules fees?

Thanks

Mo

Photo
Tenant

Hey Humprhys, hey everyone!

Those fees are outrageous and should be unlawful (they’re illegal in Scotland). Honestly I hadn’t heard fees of more than £700 before.

Like you said, there’s not much tenants can do to challenge those fees as we need a roof over our head and it costs time and money to claim anything back from a company. However people are fed up and there are petitions spreading for Parliament to address the issue.

In the meantime: I work for a legal company called CaseHub and we are building a class action lawsuit (a group lawsuit, Erin Brockovich style) against letting agents for their tenancy fees which make renting in England a nightmare.

The goal is to 1) get tenants refunded 2) set a precedent to end tenancy fees in England once and for all.

It’s much more than a petition as if we gather enough people we’re effectively challenging the fees in court 🙂

We’re doing it this summer but are already starting campaign building so that when we do launch the lawsuit, we can sign up a lot of people quickly!

I invite you to sign up for updates, bc it this happens, it could be HUGE. Also, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. You can sign up here.

Hope that helped and also hope this will work out as a way for people to finally be able to get fair treatment from agencies in the future.

cheers

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply