Moving out after 4 years | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Moving out 

start a new discussion

Moving out after 4 years

1 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
529 views 1 replies latest reply: 12 June 2016

My brother is moving out of a renter property after 4 years and having problems with his landlords. They have asked him to repaint the whole house to a magnolia colour, repaint glossed doors and other small things around the home. This house is spotless, well maintained, and in better condition than it was when he took the tenancy. The landlord is selling the house and it seems that he wants my brother to leave it in a pristine condition so he doesn’t have to do anything to the house. Is the landlord being unreasonable to request this? Any advice would be appreciated

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.

Service provider

Hi Lorraine,

Industry guidance indicates landlords should expect to redecorate every five or six years. So even if he had caused damage which required redecoration, he would only be responsible for 20-30% of any essential redecoration, and then only if the property was newly decorated when he moved in, and stated as such in the check-in report.

If it is not damaged and just tired from fair wear and tear, the tenant is not responsible for any redecoration costs.

If he is charged, then dispute it with the deposit protection scheme.

For further guidance see:


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply