No Hot Water for nearly 3 weeks | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Social housing responsibilities 

start a new discussion

No Hot Water for nearly 3 weeks

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
600 views 1 replies latest reply: 01 March 2016

Hello all, i am a tenant of south anglia circle housing.

We have been waiting nearly 3 weeks for 2 elements to be changed on our immersion heater. These parts are available from any plumbing center of the shelf.

Its been a total cock up from the start. They are using a sub contractor and the sub is saying they need to order the parts, which is a total load of rubbish.

South Anglia Circle Housing are incompetant of fulfiling a simple yet nessisity repair.

This has now become a formal complaint. I have wrote a letter stating that if its not fixed by the 03/03/2016 i will be contacting a emergency plumber and have them carry out the work. And i will invoice Circle Housing. Also stating that if its not paid within 14 days i will take them to a small claims court.

I am asking, am i in my rights to do this. The date is getting closer, and we are still no clearer when this repair is going to be completed.

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Andy

If the repair costs less than £250 then you could use the Right to Repair scheme – there’s more info on that here.

I’m not sure on what basis you would take them to the small claims court – I’m not a lawyer but I think you might struggle with breach of tenancy. However, it might be worth speaking to someone at Citizens Advice about whether this is possible.

Shelter outlines a useful for procedure for deducting the cost of repairs from rent that might be useful – more info here.


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply