No kitchen sink for 3.5 weeks | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Repairs 

start a new discussion

No kitchen sink for 3.5 weeks

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
537 views 1 replies latest reply: 09 June 2016

Hi there, 

I’m hoping I can get some advice on here. We rent a shared flat from a private landlord but need to liaise with a letting agency (John D Wood) for earthing. Long story short, our relatively new kitchen sink tap broke and we were without one, as well as running water in the kitchen, for 3.5 weeks. This was due to the delayed process of dealing with a slow letting agency, waiting for parts to arrive from the manufacturer, getting the wrong parts, and then the process repeating. Eventually, new tap was installed. Hallelujah. We felt 3.5 weeks without a kitchen sink tap warranted compensation. Landlord didn’t come back to us for 2 weeks. Said no, not her fault as it’s a faulty tap. Letting agency said we have to deal directly with tap manufacturer to seek compensation. As a rent paying tenant, this doesn’t feel right to me. Any advice? 



Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Cherie- the Landlord is responsible as they are providing the service. However, you did have other running water in the flat correct? If so, whilst a huge inconvenience, the reality is compensation will be hard to secure and minimal.

To calcuate this- take the weekly rent, divide by the nuber of rooms in the property. You then have to calculate what % of the kitchen a tap accounts for which I would advise is no more than 10%. So, if you are renting a 2 bed 2 bath flat for £400 per week this would be £400/6 = £66.67 x 10% = £6.67 x 3.5 = £23.33.

The question you have to ask is how much time and effort do you want to put in to pursuing a sum like this?

If the Landlord & Agent refuse compensation your only real route is to ewither try filing a complaint with a redress scheme (e.g. TPOS- dictated by which scheme the agent is a member of). Failing that you could go to court but this is almost impossible for less than a £600 claim.

Probably now what you wanted to hear but hope it helps- Kristjan

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply