Oven is broken, sewage in bath, Landlord doesn\’t give a damn | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Landlord responsibilities 

start a new discussion

Oven is broken, sewage in bath, Landlord doesn't give a damn

1 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
359 views 1 replies latest reply: 21 June 2016

My partner and I moved into a new flat three weeks ago.

Within the first week the oven broke, we realised the washing machine was plumbed to the hot water and worst of all, waste water – complete with fecal matter – occasionally rises through our toilet and bath drain.

We notified the landlord of these problems immediately but in three weeks we’ve gotten nowhere – they suggested drain cleaner for the bath and toilet but that’s it.

I’ve messaged them (they’re a london company) constantly and tried calling, but after two weeks of chasing I’m sure we’re just being ignored.

Any advice on how to proceed from here would be greatefully received.

I would like to report them and have someone A) force them to sort these problems ASAP and B) fine the crap out of them for leaving us like this.

Move on a budget !

Save 10% on any home service !

..when you book with Fantastic Services. Enter your details and claim your discount! We'll send you the code over email. Minimum charges, T&C apply.

Fantastic Services

Hi Jake,

Ovens do break down and can easily be replaced. The washing machine can easily be replumbed. However, sewage coming up through the bath is very worrying as waste water and sewage should not be connected at all.

I would give them 48 hors to attend and address the issues or you will report the matter to Environmental Health at your local council. You may also wish to report the matter to your local Building Regulations Dept as well as it sounds like the construction may not be up to scratch.

Other options are to file an official complaint with the agency, if that doesnt work you can escalate it to an Ombudsman (of which all letting agents are legally required to be members of).

This will usually be either TPOS (The Property Ombudsman Scheme) or PRS (Property Redress Scheme).

Hope that helps.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply