Overcrowded in an unfit property | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Landlords and letting agents 

start a new discussion

Overcrowded in an unfit property

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
442 views 1 replies latest reply: 20 December 2016

So basically been on at the council for 8years to sort out the damp and mould problem and when it finally looks like im getting somewhere they always leave the council so no work ever gets done and my problem now is i have 3 kids 2girls one boy sharing a bedroom which is the worst room outta the flat with the damp and mould and i cant move them out of there as my room is 3 times smaller than there room my eldest daughter is almost 9 and my son almost 3 ive been trying for yrs to move with the bidding system but the council closed my account so had to open up a new one and now ive lost all my points and getting no where with the bidding system and they won’t give me my points back they are saying i have enuff room for us all (im in a 2bed flat) my son has nystagmus and needs his own room due to it. My sons HV has written a letter to them to state the reasons why he must have his own room but is there anything else i can do or anyone i should speak to to get what needs to be done done as the council arnt interested in anything they get told/shown.

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


What we typically advise tenants to do when facing problems with a troublesome landlord is to contact the council and seek their help in resolving the matter.

However, since the council is the problem in your case, my only advice would be to look for a no win – no fee solicitor and look into your options of filing a claim in the county court against your landlord (the council), for not resolving a serious health concern (black mould) in the only room where your three young children live.

Speak to Shelter and Citizen Advice and see whether they have any further advice for you. 

If nothing helps, contact your local MP and demand they look into your case and help you out. 

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply