Permitted Occupier | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Your home 

start a new discussion

Permitted Occupier

1 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
1715 views 1 replies latest reply: 05 July 2016

Good afternoon 

I have been in my rented property for 22 months and a good tenant, I rent through a letting agent (they also manage).

I would like my partner to move into the property with us (2 bed which is currently occupied by myself and young daughter). The letting agent has said they will need to reference him and create a new contract at the cost of £330.

I am after some advise how we can get around this please, as I am sure he wont pass the referencing and so where does that leave me? Plus I think its very unfair amount to pay.

Can I ask him to be added on as a permitted occupier? I have been sneaky and tried to get hold on my landlord who works abroad but no reply.

What situations would they allow a permitted occupier?

Any help would be very much appreciated.


Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Millie,

Any agent doing their job right will insist all adult parties go on the tenancy agreement. If you have already qualified for the tenancy, his referencing should not affect this fact. As for the charges- referencing and redrawing all paperwork is quite involved- our agency would charge £276 for this process and we are one of the lowest charging agents in the UK so £330 is not unreasonable.

Sorry you didnt get the answer you wanted but they are acting correctly.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply