Property removed | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Tenant rights 

start a new discussion

Property removed

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
751 views 1 replies latest reply: 15 February 2015


i wonder if anyone can give me some advise on the following and what I should do.

i have given notice on my rental property the tenancy ends at the end of the month, I have however effectively moved out of the property as I have relocated to Spain I have been away from the house for 2 weeks and came back today for the week so that I could make the property clean & presentable ready for the handover. On entering the property today it has materialised that some of my personal belongings which had been left ready to move out have been taken they have been removed from the property. 

I believe that the landlord has entered the property without permission and has removed/stolen my property where do I stand with this? Advise is very welcome thanks

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Louise

If you’re still paying rent and you’re still within the term of your tenancy then the landlord still has to give you the normal notice to enter the property (24 hours). Landlords are not allowed to take your possessions under any circumstances. There’s more advice on this here. In terms of what you can do practically speaking, it might be an idea to start with a letter stating that you know the property has been illegally entered, document what is missing and say you’ll be speaking to the police if this is not returned. If there is any way you can prove the landlord has been in there (maybe a neighbour saw?) then this would back up your case.

If you don’t get a decent response then it might be an idea to contact the Citizen’s Advice Bureau or go to a UK law advice centre for some specific advice.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply