Rent increase | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Rent 

start a new discussion

Rent increase

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
518 views 1 replies latest reply: 21 May 2016

Ive rented the same propert now for nearly 3 years on a SAT, obviously the original 6 months have passed and I’ve been on a rolling month to month contract now 

landlord via FB message increased rent by £30 per month, gave me 2 months notice.

ive now received a new SAT lease for 6 months with a rent increase! Don’t want to be tied to house for another 6 months plus 2 months notice to quit. 

Should my last lease have been terminated before new one issued? 

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Audrey,

Unless stated in the contract a Landlord cannot simply give notice of a rent increase. They can, of course, request one however this must have at east 2 months notice and is only enfrceable with your consent. If you do not consent the Landord then has a choice- keep the rent as is or serve 2 months (minimum) notice for you to vacate.

A contract is optional- you are never obliged to sign one, especially is you have not agreeed to the written terms. Again, if you refuse to sign, he just needs to give a minimum of 2 months notice to terminate.

If you are happy to pay £30 pcm more but dont want a 6 month commitment then just tell the Landlord this. The rent can be chahged at any time (by mutual consent) and you can then simply keep the remaining terms the same with a rolling contract.

Hope that helps.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply