Repairs after moved out | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Repairs 

start a new discussion

Repairs after moved out

1 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
550 views 1 replies latest reply: 14 April 2016

Hi- I wonder if anyone can help me.

We have just moved out of our rented property that we have lived in for 2 years. In this time we have never experienced a problem with the built-in electric oven- apart from the worn-off signs.

We moved out nearly two weeks ago and have just had an email from our ex-letting agent saying that the oven has been reported to be broken and that an engineer was looking into the cost. This was not noted on our moving out inspection, and was working perfectly fine when we moved out.

Does anybody know who has resposibility for paying for the oven repairs? If anyone has any links to any laws/goverment advice this would be really helpful as I will dispute this with our horrible letting agent!

Many thanks

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Sarah,

Unless the agent/landlord can prove that this issue was caused by reckless/malicious intent and this is supported by a 3rd party (i.e. inventry clerk) then this falls as the responsibilkty of the landlord under normal repairs and is not your liability.

The deposit regulation protects you from such matters. If you cannot reach an agreement on this matter, you simply contact the body your deposit is registered with (TDS, DPS or TDSL) and raise a dispute. Any undisputed deposit funds should be returned to you immediately and the disputed amount then handled and arbitrated by your scheme.

They liaise with both parties, collating evidence, make a ruling and allocate funds accordingly. However- the onus is on the Landlord/Agent to support their claim not for you to prove you are innocent.

Hope that helps

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply