Roommate stole damage deposit | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Deposits 

start a new discussion

Roommate stole damage deposit

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
549 views 1 replies latest reply: 07 March 2016

Hi there,

My flatmate and I shared a small apartment.  When we payed the daage deposit, I sent her my half and she payed it to our agency.  

The contract ended and we both moved out.  She told me she would send me my half of the damage deposit when she recieved it from the landlord.  She has since blocked me on facebook and is dodging my calls.  

What rights do I have?  The agency says they’ve already payed the money and its nothing to do with them.  What are my options? 

Many thanks!

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Jess

I’m not a lawyer but I think you’d have to make a small claim against your former housemate. You’d need proof of the transfer of the cash to her and get paperwork from the agency that proves they’ve paid it back. Can you contact her via email or letter? If so, send her a warning note that you’re going to make a claim against her for the amount if she doesn’t repay it within a week. 

I’m not sure if this might count as theft even – in which case you could call the police. As I said I’m not a lawyer so speak to Citizens Advice or someone at a law centre and they should be able to point you in the right direction.


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply