Saniflo (electric flushing toilet) | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Landlord responsibilities 

start a new discussion

Saniflo (electric flushing toilet)

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
789 views 1 replies latest reply: 01 December 2015

SOS.Is it within the law to have a saniflo electric flushing toilet as a main toilet? there is no other in the flat my grandson rents.

Also the electricity is on a meter card,so no funds or power cut no toilet. It is a very makeshift instalation,and has been blocked twice this year.

No need to explain the horror when it overflows.The Landlord gets quite nasty when called out,and adds if your not happy you can leave.

I would appreciate some replys.  Thanks.

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Lefevre

I’m not sure about the legality of an electric toilet – it might be worth speaking to Citizens Advice about it. However, the landlord does have to provide proper sanitary faciliities – and has a legal obligation to maintain them. This guide covers the legislation that sets out the landlord’s obligations.

Perhaps suggest your grandson speak to the local environmental health department at the council. They can come and investigate and can compel the landlord to take action and even fine them. Sewage is a serious health risk so I imagine they would be happy to take action quite quickly.

It’s also worth noting that, as of 1 October, new legislation came in that means that a landlord cannot get rid of a tenant now for complaining about lack of repairs and maintenance like this so the ‘if you don’t like it I’ll find other tenants’ threat doesn’t work anymore. If the landlord was to serve notice for any complaints your grandson made, as long as your grandson had proof of the requests to repair/deal with the toilet (i.e. put it in writing in emails etc) then the notice would not be valid and the landlord wouldn’t be able to remove him unless he was in breach of the tenancy.

If any of your grandson’s possessions are damaged as a result of this, he can make a small claim to recover the loss and if his health suffers, again he would have a cause of action against the landlord – I’m not a lawyer but I would have thought that pointing these things out to the landlord might get him to do something.


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply