Section 21 – incorrect prescribed information | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Deposits 

start a new discussion

Section 21 - incorrect prescribed information

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
448 views 2 replies latest reply: 21 November 2016

In 2010 I separated from my wife and when the ‘joint’ AST we had together came up for renewal  I remained in the property with a new ‘sole’ AST agreement.

I have recently been served with a Section 21 and I now realise that the deposit protection certificate ( prescribed information ) I have from My Deposits is for the previous ‘joint’ tenancy – I have checked their online deposit checker and my ex wife’s name is still registered under the deposit. It appears my landlord or his agent failed to reprotect the deposit for the new ‘sole’ tenancy. On my AST agreements – renewed each year – it says a deposit has been taken but I have never received correct prescribed information to confirm this – all the certificates I have relate to the previous joint tenancy – m ex wife’s name is on all of them as the other tenant. My tenancy has now lapsed into a SPT.

Can he serve me with a Section 21 and can I make a claim against him ?

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Since the joint tenancy ended and a new sole tenancy was formed, the deposit should have been taken out of My Deposits and then protected again under your name only, with a new, refreshed copy of the prescribed information served to you again.

This means that your deposit (since you’ve begun a single tenancy) is not properly protected. By law, this would rule that you can’t be served with a Section 21 notice.

As you suspect, it’s likely that any Section 21 notice served to you may be invalidated by this fact. However, it’s important to consult a real solicitor if this is the case. Citizen Advice or Shelter will be able to confirm that fact. 


Thank you.

As the prescribed information does not match my sole tenancy I am hoping it’s enough to invalidate the Section 21. 

Can he be penalised for not reprotecting the deposit correctly?

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply