Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Moving out 

start a new discussion

Section 21c (Deregulation Act 2015) repayment of rent

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
62 views 1 replies latest reply: 24 October 2016
Photo
Tenant

Hello All,

Just looking for some clarification – any help is appreciated.

I began renting a house in September 2015 on a 12 month tenancy. In August 2016 I was issued with a Section 21 notice for repossession of the property in October 2016. I ended up moving into a new house on 04 October and checked out of the old property on 10 October (although I had made a rental payment up to 27 October). Reading the Deregulation Act 2015 it states:

A tenant under an assured shorthold tenancy of a dwelling-house in England is entitled to a repayment of rent from the landlord where:

a) as a result of the service of a notice under section 21 the tenancy is brought to an end before the end of a period of the tenancy.

b) the tenant has paid rent in advance for that period, and

c) the tenant was not in occupation of the dwelling-house for one or more whole days of that period.

It looks like the above applies to me, however I then also read:

These provisions apply to all new assured shorthold tenancies that start on or after 01 October 2015.

So would the Deregulation Act 2015 not apply to me, as I began the tenancy in September 2015? So I would not be entitled to a repayment of the proportionate rental payment made?

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Photo
Tenant

The Deregulation act came into force from October 1st 2015 and it only applies to tenancies that have started OR have been renewed since this date.

Has your tenancy been renewed ? Otherwise, I’m afraid you might not be eligible for this refund. 

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply