Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Landlord responsibilities 

start a new discussion


0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
432 views 1 replies latest reply: 28 November 2016

Hi, I rent my flat from a private landlord in Scotland, my question is this-

My landlord recently told me that she is selling the flat that I rent from her and to expect a for sale sign in the front garden soon.

My understanding was that now the flat is up for sale “does the landlord have to issue me with a NOTICE TO QUIT AND A SECTION 33 DOCUMENT??”

I am also on a waiting list for a council house.

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Not necessarily: 

If you’re still in your fixed term, the landlord may sell, but you’re allowed to live in the property as a tenant per your current contract. The new owner becomes your landlord with the same responsibilities and rights as your old one. 

Once the fixed term is over, they may choose to keep you as a tenant or begin the end of tenancy procedure via Notice to quit / Section 33 document

If you’re in a periodic tenancy, your landlord may begin the end of tenancy / eviction procedure via the above notices while they begin the sale process. 

Your landlord may want to consider selling the property to a buyer who is interested in being a landlord. Properties with sitting tenants are perfect, as the return on investment comes immediately, there are no letting or marketing costs and reduced costs for redecoration and upgrades. 

So why not negotiate with them about it. As a tenant living in the property, you can help or obstruct access for viewings.

You may check out this article –


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply